Miss Ash's Learning Journey

My personal reflections of teaching and learning today

PARTs

July31

At the moment I think the eagerness of the students is not to go on the blog but to use their iPads however I think giving more ownership to the students would improve this so, as mentioned in an earlier blog, I’d like to see the students having their own blogs or their own websites. That might be a bit ambitious for myself to macurt currently but today I’m going to look at creating a blog for 4VA so that maybe I will be more likely to encourage students to upload more of their own learning even if its not learning that occurred at school!

by posted under Uncategorized | 2 Comments »    

“PARTs”

1. August 6th, 2013 at 11:58 am      Reply Mrs Rebecca Gage Says:

Hi Vicki,

The class blogs look like they’ve been really quick to set up now that we’ve all developed some skills in the process of creating new blogs. Have you given some thought to what process you might undertake to introduce individual student blogs? Kathleen Morris has blogged about how her process evolved which you can see here through the tag “student blogs” http://primarytech.global2.vic.edu.au/tag/student-blogs/

I am wondering what you are noticing about the benefits of having a class blog as opposed to a level blog, even in the very early days of the class blog having been set up?

Regards,

Rebecca

2. September 4th, 2013 at 4:26 pm      Reply Miss Vicki Ash Says:

Hi Rebecca,
    Definately finding having a class blog is more beneficial than a level one. I feel much more confident posting now that the blog belongs to my class and I think Maria has been able to pick up more skills as well because we individually post rather than just one of us posting which is what we found happened a lot.

It also allows me to use the accepting of comments as a teaching point with my students which was difficult when two of us were trying to approved posts for 50 children.

Although I think it would be even better to give all the students their own blogs, at the moment I think developing our class blog is proving beneficial as the students are learning different aspects of posting like adding photos and tags and catergorising. I’d like to see some of them post their own actual posts before they start their own blogs too. We tried this today but had lots of difficulty with what appeared to be gliches with global2 itself. The posts that students sent for aproval just dissapeared.

It’s a learning process not just for the students but also for me (and for Maria) and I’m not willing to compromise my teaching at this point because I’m overwhelmed trying to help 25 students manage individual blogs. Its something we will work towards.