Miss Ash's Learning Journey

My personal reflections of teaching and learning today

PARTs Update

July24

We have reminded our students that they were asked to go and read another students story and leave a comment but very few have done this. We really don’t have any evidence that publishing online improves learning so we need to publish a piece of work again. This time we will do less focus on the AuthorThink process and start out with telling students the intention is to publish an information report (for teacher and class) and again after that is done ask them to publish online on the blog. If publishing online (which is basically about having a wider audience) makes a difference to student learning there should be change between the word published version and the online version.

We also need to make blank AuthorThink sheets available (and tell students well before this activity where they will be located for the rest of the year and that they are welcome to use them whenever they are publishing).

I worry a bit about the idea that publishling online makes writing purposeful.

We decided we need to create a survey together so that we have some general data and this will also help as develop better questions to interview individual students.

by posted under Uncategorized | 2 Comments »    

“PARTs Update”

1. July 30th, 2013 at 3:02 pm      Reply Mrs Rebecca Gage Says:

Hi Vicki,

You’ve identified some key points here.

Does the way the blog has been set up make it easy for our students to receive feedback? Are there better ways that could be explored?

How can we get feedback from outside sources? What has worked for other schools?

Is publishing online what makes it purposeful?

I look forward to seeing what is uncovered as answers to these questions as the PART process continues.

Rebecca

2. July 31st, 2013 at 1:31 pm      Reply Christine Ash Says:

Reading you blog entries Vicki is a powerful way for me to follow your thinking and to catch up with the collaboration that is a hallmark of your teams learning. If this is what blogging can do for me, I expect you are finding it an amazing tool for watching the children’s learning. Can you see an eagerness in the children to contribute to your class blog and is it giiving you inso\igghts into the way they think and the way they learn. I saw some blogs in the UK and children were uploading their learning about stuff that was learning but not school based. That might become more true of your blog when the children know that you really do want to become engaged in their passions. Looking forward to reading their blogs when I have finished reading staff one!