Miss Ash's Learning Journey

My personal reflections of teaching and learning today

Publishing Online

June17

Today students are publishing their powerful paragraphs on the blog. The idea was to see if they chose to change their work at all once they found out that their work was being published online. Initially no students said they needed to change their work however we have asked them to comment on their own work if they did make any changes before upload it.

http://56steps.global2.vic.edu.au/

by posted under Uncategorized | 3 Comments »    

“Publishing Online”

1. June 19th, 2013 at 7:26 pm      Reply Marija Says:

Hi Vicki,
    I’m sure the students had a real buzz from publishing their work online and having a greater audience. It’s a huge development than publishing a class book like the ‘old days’. Now I’m feeling really old.

Are the students going to be given the opportunity to read each other’s blogs and time to respond?

Great work,
    Marija Diosi

2. July 17th, 2013 at 1:45 pm      Reply Mrs Rebecca Gage Says:

Hi Vicki,

I’m wondering how the students have responded to receiving feedback on the blog. Has it made any different to the quality of the work?

Were there any aspects that now need to be revised moving ahead?

Regards,

Rebecca

3. July 17th, 2013 at 4:25 pm      Reply Miss Vicki Ash Says:

Iterestingly, a lot of students have read each others work in the class book (although they haven’t left feedback this way) but I don’t believe the ‘old way’ is any less valuable and is sometimes valuable because of it’s novelty to children who now live in a techno world!

It was unfortunate that their was also a lack of feedback from other students, parents, teachers and other school communities on the blog as this perhaps may have given students some more feedback to use for future tasks.

Unfortunately even though students were given at least two lessons to read other students work and to leave feedback only a handful of students actually posted comments on other students work. So they didn’t really get the greater audience we were hoping for.

Publishing online made very little difference to the quality of the students work however the AuthorThink process was extremely successful at helping students improve their work.

Our aim was to see if publishing ONLINE made a difference but the evidence from this project (the difference between work published for the classroom and work published for online) showed that publishing online made very little if no difference.

However….. having a good topic or inspirational image to write about, passionate discussion about a topic, knowing up front the work WOULD be published, quality teaching, peer feedback and a time to prepare multiple drafts did make a big difference.

Combining the AuthorThink process and ‘publishing’ online may have blurred the results so it would be interesting to see if there is a difference when students are asked to write something and publish it for the classroom (but without actually prompting them to use AuthorThink) and then asked to publish online.

I think our question made collecting evidence very difficult. It may have been more informative to ask whether ‘publishing’ made a difference to student learning rather than ‘online publishing’.

I have to admit I’m not convince that ‘blogging’ itself is the best way to publish student work, I’d be interested in how much student learning is improved when students create and manage their own websites. This would allow greater individuality, more freedom of epression, less teacher interaction in terms of improving comments, more variety in work shared and possibly a greater audience and more interest from students to go look at each others work.